Epilepsy Patient Guide
The aim is to make this Epilepsy Patient Education Guide the most comprehensive free patient guide for Epilepsy on the internet. I know that is a lofty aim. But I will try my best, and make it so.
You can help me by suggesting improvements and new articles for the site. I will try my best to accommodate your requests. Let us travel this road together.
Dr. Siddharth Kharkar.
– What are “Seizures” or “Fits”?
– What are the different kinds of seizures? (e.g. Lip-smacking seizures, focal seizures, generalized tonic clinic seizures etc)
– What first-aid should be given during a seizure?
– What are “provoked seizures”?
– In Children: Which peculiar events can be mistaken for seizures?
– In Adults & Children: Which events can mimic seizures?
– What is “Syncope” & “Orthostatic Hypotension”?
– What is Epilepsy?
– Which famous people have Epilepsy?
– What are “Psychogenic Non-Epileptic” seizures (PNES)?
– What is the cause of Epilepsy? (MTS, FCD, TS, Others)
– Can Epilepsy be genetic?
– What are the types of Epilepsy? What do you mean by “Epilepsy Syndrome”?
– If I have Epilepsy, which factors can precipitate seizures?
– How to provide a good history to your doctor
– EEG for epilepsy
– Imaging for Epilepsy (MRI, PET, SPECT etc)
– I had one seizure. Do I have Epilepsy?
– Click to open Subsection:– Surgery: Including treatment of Mesial Temporal Sclerosis (MTS) & Focal Cortical Dysplasia (FCD)
– Vagal Nerve Stimulation (also called VNS)
– Responsive Neurostimulation (Also called RNS or Neuropace)
– Ketogenic diet
– Natural therapies: Meditation, Cannabis
– When can you stop Epilepsy treatment / Anti-epileptic medications?
– Depression & Anxiety
– Intellectual functioning
– Dealing with Society
– Which are the safest anti-epileptics in pregnancy?
Specific Epilepsy Syndromes:
Dr. Siddharth Kharkar
Dr. Kharkar is a Neurologist, Epilepsy specialist & Parkinson’s disease specialist in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. He has trained in the best institutions in India, US and UK including KEM hospital in Mumbai, Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, University of California at San Francisco (UCSF), USA & Kings College in London.